Monday 19 October 2015

Task 1a: Professional Profile

A CV, which stands for curriculum vitae, is a document which is a summary of your experience, skills, professional qualifications and education. But what is it that makes a CV successful?

Before starting this task I decided to have a look at other blogs to see different approaches and ideas for presenting and making their CVs into a profile. It was so helpful doing this as from the blogs I read I found many I could relate to, as they were either performers or people who had just graduated from Performing Arts schools, like me. For example, I found Eleanor Claire Urwin's blog on her Professional Profile to be incredibly helpful! Like most people, my first go at creating a CV was in school. Before you begin, remember you are not only informing employers about yourself, but almost persuading them that you are worth interviewing/hiring/employing.

A successful CV is clearly presented with a well-structured layout. The employer must be able to understand it, so making every necessary point clear and concise, (and no waffling), will do you great favours! And don't forget to keep your CV updated. Looking at my CVs now, I realise how much I haven't included!

Personally, I have 2 CVs; a performance and an academic CV. Both CVs contain the same basic information but are also very different and I think it's extremely important to understand the difference. My performance CV is used to promote myself, like an advertisement. It includes personal details such as my height, hair colour, eye colour and weight/dress size as well as where I have previously trained, my qualifications, any professional experience I may have and my employment history. Before the director/choregorapher has even met me or seen my dancing abilities, they already have an image of what I look like. Directors also have a ridiculous amount of CVs to read before and after yours so keeping it short and to the point is essential!

My academic CV is more general. This CV would be appropriate to use when applying for jobs in retail, catering, host/hostessing etc. The difference with this CV is more focused on my previous or current academic education, grades and qualifications. For example, GCSEs and Alevels. Similar to my performance CV you would also be expected to list your key skills that advertise you in a way that is suitable for the job(s) you are applying for. E.g. if I wanted to apply for a job working with children, I would describe myself as being co-operative, friendly, positive, enthusiastic and working well as part of a team. Having experience with certain skills is also a plus.


My Professional Profile: Draft 1
My name is Nafisah Baba. I am a dancer and also work part-time in retail.  I currently live in London, where I previously danced at Pamela Howard School of Dance and West London School of Dance. Alongside dance, I also went to Notting Hill and Ealing High School, where I involved myself in a range of sports, arts and dance activities. 

At 16 I decided to become more focused on dance as a career rather than just a hobby and after auditioning for many schools, I received a full scholarship to train at Tring Park for the Performing Arts in Hertfordshire, where I went on to pursue my Alevels in Dance and Art. I gained experience touring and performing as part of our 3rd year company; Encore, performing works choreographed by Jodie Blemings, James Streeter and Anthony Dowson at Sadler's Wells Theatre. I graduated in 2015 with a National Diploma in Professional Dance, Distinction. Once graduating I received my first professional job as a performer working with Chrysalis London. I am loving working with this company and feel I am growing as a performer each week. I look forward to developing my career in the Arts. 

Although I am still having issues uploading my CV photos, please do feel free to make comments or suggestions to help! 

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately I have been unable to put up the photos of my CVs as they have been written on a word document and I can't seem to change them into a JPEG file (or any other file) to be able to upload them! Could anyone please be of any help? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete