Tuesday 20 October 2015

Intriguing Article - 'Why generation Z are deleting their social media accounts and going offline'

https://i-d.vice.com/en_gb/article/why-generation-z-are-deleting-their-social-media-accounts-and-going-offline

As someone who regularly enjoys reading Vice news, articles and watching their documentaries, I was pleasantly surprised when I came across this article (funnily enough found on my Facebook newsfeed), which I found interesting to read as well as it being relatable to the topic of Web 2.0 and online privacy I previously discussed.

I laughed to myself when I read writer Ali Segel admit to having a borderline internet addiction, before questioning my own internet dependency. When you wake up, what is the first thing you do? Do you get up straightaway or lounge in bed for a bit while you check and catchup on what sleep has made you miss out on your Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Snapchat? Hours later I am still in the same position in bed, wondering how on earth it has got to 2pm and I am still scrolling through my Instagram. I mildly exaggerate, but I find that the internet has and does take hold of the people using it.

Although I think the internet is extremely important and can be a very positive and powerful tool, I also think it would be fascinating to see what would happen if everyone turned off their phones and laptops and gave up social media for a day. I don't think people realise how much we rely on the internet. We laugh and make fun of our parents for not being able to understand how to work the latest technology, yet are relying on Google to help with the simplest things like how to boil an egg (something a friend at uni told me she has done numerous times!!).

Imagine having a whole day of  'social media suicide'. Where no one can use social media on any device. I would love to be 'a fly on the wall' to see what would happen and how people would react. As my mum continues (and continues) to say...everything in moderation. I would really recommend reading this article! Enough of 'pics or it didn't happen'!

Feel free to comment your views on this article!

No comments:

Post a Comment