Sunday 13 March 2016

4a: Mapping out my inquiry

After reviewing the branches of inquiries I concluded with in Module 1, I have decided to focus on ‘The Perfect Learning Environment’ route;


·         What is the perfect learning environment in Professional Dance?
·         What is the perfect learning environment in and out the workplace?
·         What is a learning organization?
·         How do people learn?
·         Is experiential learning key to finding the perfect learning environment?
·         How do you know if you are in your ideal learning environment?


Thinking about how I may answer these questions, I realise the contrasting environments I have been in, how they have differed from each other and how and why I have had to adjust, not to ‘fit in’, but more importantly to ensure I get the best learning experience and knowledge out of it. Moving from an all girls’ private school to Tring was a massive change for me as from the age of 5 I grew up in a very academic environment with dance just being my hobby. Moving to a performing arts school at 16 my after-school and weekend hobby was to become my life goal. After spending 3 years in this environment I was more than happy to leave, and I became a full member with Chrysalis London who I am currently dancing with. Personally for me, I love being in an environment where people are continuously learning from each other; whether this be a valid life lesson, the way someone executes a dance step, or observing that special quality someone has that makes them stand out. I think there are many aspects to what a ‘perfect learning environment’ should be, but every individual relates to things and learns in a different and unique way.

So what do I intend on doing to further my research? I plan on talking to people that are involved in both similar and different environments, for example I could talk to my parents who are both teachers at primary and secondary schools as well as Jodie Blemings, the director of Chrysalis. I also intend on talking to some of the company members. Whether my research will result in finding differing views in the same environment or vice versa, I am very interested in seeing what the common links will be as well as the ones that separate one 'perfect' environment from another.


I decided to do a brainstorm of ideas that could be helpful with my inquiry (Pictured below):




3 comments:

  1. I really like this!
    You can compare and reflect what the difference were when you went out to teach in Reading and Slough and why it was a big difference. Maybe because of the different areas? The teachers? And you can think about how it was when you were in Tring Park School and a lot of people say that Tring has the "perfect environment" for kids to learn dance/singing/drama, why?

    Just some thoughts for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that idea could be very helpful especially as they were two completely different schools that had quite contrasting responses towards the workshops we ran, thank you for that! With Tring, I could maybe also add how there was the opportunity to do academics as well as the vocational training which I don't think many Performing Arts Schools offer!

    Will definitely consider including these points in my research, thank you! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this - ‘The Perfect Learning Environment’ yes learning in a dance company is appropriate - what kind of learning - how to learn - like Nicole's ideas - contrast more structured leaning in dance to the way that you learn as a young professional - so Eraut's work might help e.g. http://learningtobeprofessional.pbworks.com/w/page/15914995/Michael%20Eraut
    as well as classic formal and informal learning
    see what you can find on summon with key words...
    we can talk about this when we meet on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete